Cal the cow here with our second cookie of the day. The snow is still falling heavily, we'll give you another update around 1 pm when we venture outside again. For now, we are going to make Coconut Sugar Cookies with a Coconut Glaze. We have made these before and really enjoyed them. They are also the closest we are going to come to making sugar cookies. You see we have temporarily mislocated all of our christmas cookie cutters, so no christmas shaped cookies for us this year. But these sugar cookies look pretty with just circles and other non-christmas shapes, so that's what we'll do. The recipe is originally from Martha Stewart.
7 oz sweetened coconut flakes
3 3/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp coconut extract
1. put coconut in a food processor and grind it.
2. whisk together the coconut with the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. add eggs, one at a time. add vanilla and coconut extracts.
5. add dry ingredients
Cal's note: this recipe makes a lot of batter. we ended up mixing some, then removing the top half of the dough and wrapping it in plastic (the next step). then scraping and remixing the remaining dough once more to scrape up the dry bits.
6. wrap dough in plastic in two disks. refrigerate until firm, about an hour
we'll continue later...