You might notice a little bit of a theme this week. CHEESE.
We highly recommend putting cheese on as many things as possible. Potatoes, of course, are one of the best pairings for cheese. Twice-baked potatoes, cheese fries, cheesy mashed potatoes... there are so many possibilities when it comes to mixing cheese and potatoes. Today, we will show you how to make just one of them: scalloped potatoes.
We have been making this recipe for a long time and originally found it on cooks.com. We used to slice up all these potatoes by hand and it took a long time, but the recipe was still worth it.
Now we have a fancy food processor and it takes about 1 minute to do all that slicing!
This means we are likely to eat scalloped potatoes more often.
(More scalloped potatoes = happier cows)
5 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, minced
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in flour and salt, cook 1 minute.
4. Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly.
5. Remove from heat and quickly stir in 1/4 c cheese.
6. Arrange half of the potato slices in a shallow casserole dish.
Pour half the sauce over top.
Sprinkle with half the remaining cheese.
Repeat. Sprinkle the top with paprika.
7. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 min more until potatoes are tender and slightly crisped on top.
Check out that crispy close-up! It's like swimming in cheese. Which we highly recommend.
Note we are eating these potatoes with a different meal here. As we mentioned, we really like them...