Saturday, February 6, 2010
So since we are trying to eat healthier we went looking for new, interesting salads. We came across this one from Martha Stewart that seemed simple and interesting. It's a good way to sneak in some beans for an extra nutritional benefit, too.
1 head of romaine, chopped
8 oz green beans
2 naval oranges
1 1/2 c feta cheese
1 small red onion, sliced
15 oz can of white beans
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1. prepare green beans. in a saucepan, boil water, and simmer green beans 4-6 minutes until slightly tender. rinse with cold water.
2. prepare orange. peel and slice fruit.
3. prepare lettuce and other veggis.
4. prepare dressing. whisk together oil and vinegar. add salt and pepper to taste.
5. create salad. toss together all ingredients. serve!
Here are our thoughts on this: The dressing needs something, but we're not sure what. (It's just a little boring.) We still don't like white beans even when we hide them in a salad. Green beans in a salad is do-able. Feta makes everything better.
Here's the nutritional info: